Thursday, July 8, 2010

San Francisco Bans Soda, And Replaces It With Soy Milk




When I first read that all soda and sugary juice- type drinks have been banned from San Francisco vending machines located on city property, I was not surprised. I live in a red state where steak houses and SUVs are plentiful, so anytime that I visit the San Francisco Bay area I take notice of all of the intense differences between Northern California and the state that I live in. San Francisco has mandatory composting, but none of my friends or family even recycles where I live. San Francisco roads are deluged with hybrid vehicles, but the roads of my state are crammed with gas- guzzling trucks and SUVs. Basically, anytime I hear of something that concerns the environment or healthy eating, I am not surprised if it came out of San Francisco.

The majority of people in my state would find this change insanely ridiculous, and as it turns out, 42% of San Franciscans are "furious" that the city will no longer make sugar- filled beverages available on city property. I am sure that many of those people are pleased to have access to soy milk and rice milk in vending machines, so the complaint does not stem from the product replacing the sugar. It seems to me that in addition to worrying about saving the world and taking care of their bodies, the hippie spirit of San Franciscans also demands freedom of choice and resists being controlled by any sort of government embargo.

So, way to go City of San Francisco! By doing something you thought most San Franciscans would support in terms of healthfulness, you inadvertently aggravated them and smothered their hippie spirit by taking away their freedom of choice!

They were probably all bringing their own containers of soy milk with them whenever they visited city property, anyway.

No comments: